Sunday, February 12, 2017

Useful Tips for Living with Mesothelioma or any type of cancer

0
Useful Tips for Living with Mesothelioma or any type of cancer -

When diagnosed with cancer, it is very easy to go into denial. Let's face it, most people consider cancer as an automatic death sentence. I encourage you to get a second opinion just to be sure. Then it is time to move forward.

1. Accept the diagnosis.

Once you are absolutely certain that you have cancer, it's time to accept your diagnosis and get to work. Remember, the clock of life begins the moment we are born. What does it mean? For you, it means you're not the only one with an expiration date; we all have.

2. Focus.

Once you've accepted your diagnosis, you must get your face game. Whether its radiation, chemotherapy, surgery or all of the above, you must be mentally prepared for the fight of your life. Your attitude can greatly determine how you will respond to treatment.

I had my first HIPEC procedure August 29, 2010. My son was 1 year old at the time. I read all the stats and horror stories about the extremely radical procedure that I will have. I decided that this procedure is not only a breeze, but I'd be on my feet for 2nd birthday party for my son, who was September 26.

I am in intensive care for about four days, and I am hospitalized for three weeks. Although I moved at the speed of a snail, I was at the birthday party of my son.

3. Do not accept the mercy of others.

Most people do not know what to say to a loved one with cancer. Face it, it sucks. When I began to share my news with friends and family, the first thing I was told was always: "I'm sorry to hear that." My answer was always:. "Not much"

people talk to me as if I already had one foot in the grave. Do not accept that from anyone. I'll never forget it, I'm in a craft store center and I came across one of my mother's friends. She greeted me with a hug and then began to tear. I quickly responded, "Please do not cry. I am living with cancer; you are not. If I do not cry, you should not cry. Believe me, I can cry better than you every day of the week. "

My friends and I never skipped a beat. The word" cancer "was never raised at least I brought it up. Besides, who wants to talk about cancer all the time especially when you live with it?

4. Enjoy your chemo "downtime."

If you have had chemotherapy, then you probably have too much stock in Boost and Ensure (nutritional drinks). Every two weeks, I had to sit in the chemo room for six to seven hours. Not even 48 hours later, I'm sick as a dog. I lose 5 pounds in a day.

radiation and chemotherapy is a huge test. once you're on the worst and start preparing for the next round, treat yourself. Go to dinner with friends and family. Having the sundae ice cream was calling your name. My kryptonite was pizza. the second week after the treatment, I treat myself to the best pizza in town. All solid was a treat after drinking shakes and lying in bed for several days.

5. Find a good support group

I'll be honest with you :. When I was diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma, I am flooded with brochures on everything from support groups for wig stores. Once I decided that I had to overcome cancer, I decided to participate in a support group. It was horrible. There was not a dry eye in the building. Everyone spoke of death, preparation for death, survive the loss of a loved one, and pity. I left the group before the meeting was over, and I decided that I would never attend another.

A year later, I entered another support group at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This support group was the opposite. Everyone in the group was dealing with a type of cancer; However, everyone had a great view. Everyone in this room was a fighter. No one spoke of death; the tears that were paid in this group were tears of admiration.

These patients were mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters, all with the irresistible desire to live. We laughed and shared advice chemo with each other. Did you know that sucking on a peppermint during chemo helps a little with nausea? Ginger Ale helped me too. We laughed at the fantastic milkshakes barium that we all loved (joke).

6. Stay busy.

The last thing you need to do is to rest all day. An idle mind is the devil's playground. I stopped working. At the time of my diagnosis, I was a pharmaceutical sales rep. I programmed my chemotherapy sessions around my work schedule. I worked from Monday to Wednesday. I sat in the chemo room Thursday work on Friday and spend the weekend in bed, sipping meal replacements.

When I could not work, my days were full of stupid reality television, a lot of reading, lunch dates, and plan for future parties and holidays.

7. Remember YOLO: You Only Live Once

Enjoy your life. As I said earlier, we all have expiration dates. Please do not spend your time worrying and crying about a diagnosis that you can not change. You can choose to fight, and you can win.

You have cancer. This may sound a little strange, but the cancer can be a blessing in disguise. Do you live your life differently now than you were diagnosed? Think about all the people who complain daily about the stupidest things. You view life and live completely different lives because you really understand the how precious life really is better than anyone.

Accept your diagnosis, get focused, fight and win.

leave me a comment on Facebook.

Author Image

About Waektra
Soratemplates is a blogger resources site is a provider of high quality blogger template with premium looking layout and robust design