Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Survivor Series Preview | Karen R

0
Survivor Series Preview | Karen R - .

In Survivor Insight this week, Karen R., a mother and wife, sharing his mesothelioma experiences with us and the community. We would like to start by thanking Karen to share these personal moments with us. We retain her surname privacy.

What were the events that led to your diagnosis?

I went for an annual check-up and decided because of the family history to get an option (not covered by insurance) heart scan. The doctors detected fluid around my lungs during this analysis. If I had not chosen to get this optional analysis of the cancer would have gone unnoticed for much longer. So it was a miracle that we found the cancer as soon as we did.

After the fluid was discovered that I went through several weeks of tests and procedures to find the cause of the fluid. It took six weeks for tests to determine finally I had mesothelioma.

When were you diagnosed and what type of mesothelioma?

Doctors found fluid in my lungs in March 06, but I'm not officially diagnosed with mesothelioma until the end of July 06. I had malignant pleural mesothelioma of epithelial type.

What were your biggest questions after being diagnosed?

How much time do I ??

This was my biggest issue. I had 2 son still in high school and my daughter was to be married in a year, and after my diagnosis the question that kept running through my mind was "will I be around to see those events in life?"

What are my treatment options?

What was your reaction to hearing your diagnosis was cancer?

my first reaction was a shock and anger. I have always lead a healthy life (working, eating right, never smoked and never worked around asbestos that I could remember)

Karen R. and Family What was the reaction of your family?

the reaction of the family was mostly disbelief. They wanted 2 nd opinions, and could not understand how such young, healthy person could get cancer.

your mesothelioma was caused by asbestos? If so, can you remember to come into contact with asbestos?

I do not remember ever coming into contact with asbestos, but after researching our past, we have found that I contracted mesothelioma from "exposure to prevail." my husband is an electrician and worked with some products that contained asbestos materials.

Where did you turn for information?

The internet was my main source of information. I googled and found mesothelioma treatment options, types of disease, survivor stories and horror stories. In my case, most of the stories I found were sad stories, which, in retrospect, was useless. Noting that the survival rate for this disease is very low is not good for my mental state.

What treatment options were you offered and what have you chosen to do?

The only option I had was total EPP surgery with 30 radiation treatments and chemotherapy with cisplatin and Alimta.

Have you traveled in a specialized center?

Yes, I live in a small town with limited resources for cancer that we went to the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. I have been treated by their thoracic oncology team. They were amazing and I recommend everyone to this disease.

What have you found to be most useful in the treatment of your diagnosis?

Having a strong support system in my family is what helped me the most. My husband was my rock; I do not think I could have got through all the treatments without him. He never let me give up.

We hope these Survivor Insights provide you comfort and hope. If you want to share your experiences with others who are going through the treatment of mesothelioma, do please contact the outreach team outreach@asbestos.com. We always seek to spread the knowledge of mesothelioma with others. If you wish to become a member of our mesothelioma community, you can join us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, or comment in the box below.

Author Image

About Waektra
Soratemplates is a blogger resources site is a provider of high quality blogger template with premium looking layout and robust design