Monday, January 16, 2017

Mavis N. | Survivor Series Insight

0
Mavis N. | Survivor Series Insight -

Ben Leer spoke with Mavis N. for this position contributing to Survivor Series Preview Mesothelioma Center. Mavis is a survivor and a fighter pleural mesothelioma. Mavis joined us today to share her story. His last name is withheld on privacy.

What were the events that led to your diagnosis?

My arms went numb and I burned myself with irons and did not feel it. I went to Spain for holidays in January 09. When I returned in March I found it increasingly difficult to breathe, so I was sent for an X-ray and saw the fluid in my left lung. They were rushed to the hospital and drained the fluid and tested.

When were you diagnosed?

June 4, 09.

What were your biggest questions after being diagnosed?

How long have I to live? (3 months was the answer).

Have you read Steven J. Gould "The median is not the message?" Additional information Do you feel desperate or do you feel the power?

I have not read the book, but I will. I am a positive person and I wrote my own book, and I speak and do interviews where ever possible. I talked to Meridian Television News, Women's Magazine and newspapers, and I will return to IATP next year to talk to the HSA conference to raise awareness. So yes, additional information helps.

your mesothelioma was caused by asbestos? Can you remember to come into contact with asbestos?

I washed the clothes from my husband when I was married and worked with asbestos in Chatham Dockyard.

In the same way that smoking endangers everyone in the household, asbestos did too. Most patients I encountered only had secondary exposure to asbestos. Have you had knowledge of the health problems related to asbestos? And did you know that this could not only affect your husband, but you and your children as well?

We did not know at the time but gradually the news began to tell us of the dangers. Ray lost many friends as there is a pocket of mesothelioma in Medway Towns because of the arsenal.

We did not know that our children were in danger, but Ray left the shipyard to work at British Uralite. But when the children were born, he was in another job (dairy, bakery, etc.) the pursuit of higher wages all the time

Where did you turn to for information?

First, I read the brochures Macmillan then I tried Facebook and found the Warriors. I also googled for more information and I kept discovering information.

What was your reaction to hearing your diagnosis with cancer?

Shocked, but then I said I will beat this.

What was the reaction of your family?

shock but they are so behind me and read my blog every day so they know what I think.

A cancer diagnosis can be difficult to discuss. We posted some tips on what to say when your friend or loved one that they have told the cancer.

What were your treatment options?

Talc Op, radiation of the wound, then chemotherapy - cisplatin and Alimta - which caused a good shrink until March this year. But now it is increasingly back and I have to have the second line chemotherapy. I tried to get into the ADAM instance but I have not had a protein necessary in my tumor. Now I'm in the double-blind randomized phase III study NGR015 of NGR-HTHF with vinorelbine as a return. This will start in two weeks.

What message would you send to the community?

I would say that when you are diagnosed do not listen to the gloom. Fight with all your strength. Do not worry if you feel selfish, as you are important. So if you want something, then get it - do

also hunt all the tests .. There may be for you. also hunt all appointments do not sit. If you feel that your results should be now, chase if your appointment is late.

But above all try to live life as I do. I have always been camping whenever I can in my camper. Life is good, full life.

Thank Mavis to share his experience.

Survivor Insight is one of the sections of our most requested and most visited site. It helps to build community, and allows others to learn from others. Are you strong enough to share your story? Reach out to us outreach@asbestos.com.

Continue the conversation on Facebook and for more information on mesothelioma research news, follow us on twitter.

Author Image

About Waektra
Soratemplates is a blogger resources site is a provider of high quality blogger template with premium looking layout and robust design